A couple who wants to marry in New York City must first obtain a Marriage License from the Office of the New York City Clerk. You may begin the application process online which can expedite the process but ultimately you will need to complete the application in person at the Office of the County Clerk.

After obtaining the Marriage License in person, you need to wait 24 hours before I can perform your wedding service. After the ceremony it is my responsibility to fill out the marriage information and return it to the County Clerk’s Office within 5 days.

More information about how to obtain a New York State Marriage License can be found HERE

You can begin the process of applying for your Marriage License online in advance HERE.

Where do we go to obtain a Marriage License and?

The City Clerk has office locations in each of the five boroughs: Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island. 

Manhattan Office
141 Worth Street 
New York, NY 10013 
Hours: 8:30am–3:45pm, Monday through Friday 

Bronx Office
Supreme Court Building 
851 Grand Concourse, Room B131
Bronx, NY  10451 
Hours: 8:30am to 4pm, Monday through Friday

Brooklyn Office
Brooklyn Municipal Building 
210 Joralemon Street, Room 205
Brooklyn, NY  11201 
Hours: 8:30am–4pm, Monday through Friday

Queens Office
Borough Hall Building 
120-55 Queens Boulevard, Ground Floor, Room X001
Kew Gardens, NY 11424 
Hours: 8:30 am–4pm, Monday through Friday

Staten Island Office
Borough Hall Building 
10 Richmond Terrace, Room 311
Staten Island, NY 10301

Should we go online to begin the application process ahead of time?

Beginning the application process online helps in two ways. First, it will save you time when you appear at the City Clerk's office because you will not have to fill out a paper application—just be sure to bring your confirmation number. Second, it will give the City Clerk an idea of how many couples are applying. Beginning the application process online does not, in any way, guarantee you a space in line or preferential treatment once you appear at the City Clerk's office.

What should we bring when we visit the City Clerk's office to get our Marriage License?

You must bring valid, government-issued identification and the necessary fees. It is also a good idea to bring proof of any previously terminated marriage(s). The following types of identification are acceptable:

• Driver's license, non-driver identification card, or learner's permit, with photograph, from any state or United States territory 
• Active United States Military Identification Card
• Valid passport
• United States Certificate of Naturalization (less than 10 years old)
• United States Alien Registration Card
• United States Employment Authorization Card 

The City Clerk's fee for a Marriage License is $35, with an additional fee of $25 for your civil marriage ceremony (see more below). Fees are payable with money order or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express). Cash and personal checks are not accepted.

Do we have to go to the clerk’s office in my particular town, city or county, or can we go to any clerk’s office in the state?

You can get a license from any clerk in the state, and you can use that license to get married anywhere in New York.

Do I have to change my last name if I get married? Can I and, if so, how?

You do not have to, but one or both spouses may change their last name by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license. If you do change your name, you should follow up with your local Social Security Administration office to update them on the change, and you should change other identifying documents (driver’s licensepassport) with the appropriate agency.

If I am from outside New York, do I need a Letter or Certificate of Non-Impediment or proof of eligibility from my home town or home country to get married in New York?  

No. New York law does not require anyone from outside the State of New York to bring a Letter or Certificate of Non-Impediment or proof of eligibility in order to obtain a Marriage License here.

Once we have a license, when can our marriage ceremony be performed?

To be legally married, you must have a civil or religious marriage ceremony performed after obtaining a Marriage License. State law generally requires you to wait 24 hours after receiving your license before holding your marriage ceremony. 

If you would like more information about my wedding services, please call me at 212-989-3456 or email.